RCM Requirements & Application
HOW TO EARN YOUR RCM
The Registered Condominium Manager (RCM®) designation is the industry’s leading professional designation, established more than 35 years ago. The RCM is NOT the same as a General Licence, which is issued by the Condominium Management Regulatory Authority of Ontario (CMRAO). While some of the General Licence and RCM criteria are similar, the RCM is a voluntary professional designation which exceeds minimum licensing requirements and represents the gold standard in condominium management. There are two pathways to becoming an RCM:
Traditional RCM Pathway (In effect until April 30th, 2024)
For those who completed the four ACMO condominium management courses prior to October 31st, 2022, you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a valid General Licence issued by CMRAO.
- Be an Individual Member of ACMO.
- Write the comprehensive RCM exam and achieve an overall grade of at least 75%. Note that the RCM exam can be written prior to achieving the experience requirements noted below.
- Have at least two (2) consecutive years of full-time experience in condominium property management, completing the required tasks as outlined on the RCM Designation form.
- Have two sponsors (a CEO/VP/Regional Manager of your company and one RCM) willing to attest that you have met these experience requirements.
RCM Designation Application Form
Email the completed RCM Designation Application Form and supporting documentation to email@example.com, noting “RCM Application” in the subject line.
- If an applicant fails the RCM exam, they are permitted two rewrites.
- Having obtained the RCM designation, the member must complete 20 Continuing Education points per year and maintain a valid General Licence issued by CMRAO.
- In becoming an RCM, the member also agrees to be governed by the ACMO Code of Professional Ethics.
- The requirements to earn an RCM may change from time to time. It is the responsibility of the candidate to check this page, and the RCM Designation Application for the latest requirements. The requirements that will apply to a candidate’s RCM Designation application are the ones in force at the time of the submission of the application.
New RCM Pathway (Effective January 1, 2023)
Those wishing to achieve their RCM must meet the following criteria: :
- Successful completion of five ACMO Certificate Courses with a passing grade of 80% inclusive of 2 mandatory courses (“Advanced Ethics in Condominium Management” and “Advanced Communication and Conflict Management for Condominium Managers”) and three elective courses in any topic. There is no final exam for the new RCM. Once you successfully complete your five courses, you will apply in the same manner as the traditional RCM pathway.
- Must hold a General Licence issued by CMRAO.
- Must have at least three (3) consecutive years of experience in condominium property management with primary responsibility for a condominium while completing the required tasks as outlined on the New RCM Designation Form.
- Must have two sponsors willing to attest that you have met the work experience requirements.
- Be an Individual Member of ACMO.
Introduced last fall, ACMO Certificate Program is a series of advanced online seminars covering various condominium management topics managers need to stay current and build their knowledge base. The course topics align with the CMRAO Competency Profile and are taught by subject matter experts, and consist of pre-reading materials, an engaging 3-hour online class, and a short knowledge assessment.
Completing these certificate courses is a great way for existing RCMs to build their expertise while fulfilling their annual continuing education requirements since each certificate course provides a full 10 CE credits - half the annual requirement!
Recognizing that managers face increasing licensing costs, certificate courses are made available to ACMO members at a significant discount, and we will be designating one course that is offered to members at no cost each year. In addition, ACMO will also continue delivering several free webinars each year.
New RCM Designation Application Form
Email completed New RCM Designation Application Form and supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “RCM Application” in the subject line.