ACMO News Archive
Message from the President, Audrey M. McGuire
Dear ACMO Member,
As you are no doubt aware, on March 23rd, the Province of Ontario decreed that all “non-essential” businesses in Ontario must close 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, 2020, for a two-week period, which is subject to extension if required.
The government subsequently published a list of businesses deemed to be “essential” and, therefore, exempt from these closures. We wanted to clarify those businesses deemed essential within the condominium management field for the benefit of our members, including:
- Institutional, Residential, Commercial and Industrial Maintenance - businesses that provide support and maintenance services, including urgent repair, to maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial industrial and residential properties and buildings, including, property management services, plumbers, electricians, custodial/janitorial workers, cleaning services, security services, fire safety and sprinkler systems, building systems maintenance and repair technicians and engineers, mechanics, (e.g. HVAC, escalator and elevator technicians), and other service providers who provide similar services
- Safety & Security - Businesses providing security services including private security guards, monitoring or surveillance equipment and services. Businesses that support the safe operations of residences and essential businesses
- Supply chains/Shipping - Businesses that supply other essential businesses or essential services with the support, supplies, systems or services, including processing, packaging, distribution, delivery and maintenance necessary to operate. Businesses providing mailing, shipping, courier and delivery services, including post office boxes
- Construction - Construction work and services, including demolition services, in the industrial, commercial, institutional and residential sectors
- Waste Handling - Waste Collection, Waste/Sewage Treatment and Disposal operation of landfills and Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Professional Services - including lawyers and paralegals, engineers, accountants, translators, land registration services, and real estate agent services and moving services
Follow this link to view the complete list of essential businesses.
Please keep your condominium directors and owners well informed regarding which essential businesses will continue to provide services to the condominiums you deal with and reassure them about what steps will be taken to protect the staff and residents from COVID-19.
We are all working due diligently during this crisis, and the wave of support shown between Managers, Boards of Directors and experts in our industry is remarkable and admirable. For Condominium Managers, please share any solid tips that can assist other managers better handle their role during these trying and challenging times.
The safety and well-being of our members and their clients are of paramount importance during this challenging COVID-19 outbreak. ACMO will continue to monitor the situation and pass along recommendations from subject matter experts within the condominium industry as well as government health agencies. Please vigorously practice and promote physical distancing and personal protective practices and, most importantly, stay healthy and be safe!
Audrey M. McGuire